Paying for digital ads varies slightly depending on the platform you’re using, but the process typically follows a few general steps:
- Set Up a Billing Account: Before running ads, you’ll need to create a billing account on the ad platform. This usually requires you to provide personal or business information and select a payment method.
- Choose a Payment Method: Most ad platforms accept multiple payment methods. Commonly accepted methods include credit cards, debit cards, bank accounts, and even PayPal on some platforms. Some regions might also have specific payment methods available.
- Select a Billing Option: Digital advertising platforms usually offer a couple of billing options:
- Automatic Payments: Here, you’re charged after accruing advertising costs. It’s like a utility bill; you use the services and then you’re billed. This is sometimes called post-pay.
- Manual Payments: You prepay a certain amount into your account. As your ads run, the costs are deducted from this prepaid amount. Once your balance runs low, you’ll need to top it up to keep your ads running.
- Set Budgets: To manage spending, you’ll set daily or campaign-specific budgets. These budgets determine the maximum amount you’re willing to spend over a set period or for a particular campaign. Remember, you’re often bidding for ad placements, so the actual cost may vary, but these budgets ensure you don’t overspend.
- Understand Billing Cycles: Each platform has billing cycles that determine when you’re charged. For automatic payments, it might be after a specific amount is accrued or after a set number of days. Keep an eye on your account to track these charges.
- Review Invoices & Statements: Regularly check your account’s billing section. Here, you’ll find detailed statements and invoices that break down your ad spend, making it easier for record-keeping and understanding your ad expenses.
- Resolve Payment Issues: If there’s a problem with a payment, most platforms will notify you. Address any issues promptly to prevent your ads from being paused.